New stuff

Got A Project Going? Post it Here

Moderator: sigmaman

r32wa

New stuff

Post by r32wa »

Hey guys, been a while since I have posted anything here, haven't had time to do much lately but here are a couple of things I have been playing with on my 3d printer.
Toolboxes, radius rod guards, axle stands, jack, arm guard, curved mufflers, a hood to suit the Shane Stewart Milwaukee 7 car and a pit mule.
These are all proto types, the hood and mule are the hardest of the lot so hopefully they turn out alright.
Enjoy.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 15213 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.56 KiB) Viewed 15213 times

s29

Re: New stuff

Post by s29 »

nice stuff, love the hood, have though about buying a 3d printer but I have no computer skills in 3d design, are they hard to operate

r32wa

Post by r32wa »

They are quite easy to operate, my computer skills are pretty shocking but there are some simple to use programs that make it not so hard to do. Google sketchup is a very simple one to use, it's just practice. I have been on and off for a couple of years at it.
The hood has taken me 3 or 4 goes and I am still not 100% happy with it but I am working on it.

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Nice work , and great talent you have mate ..

r32wa

Post by r32wa »

I have drawn up a new top wing centre section to the current day 60" x 60" specs - will be able to do both dished and flat and a current KKR hood. The hoods are the hardest part with trying to get them the right length and width so they fit all the chassis builds either based on the kit or scratch built.

s29

Post by s29 »

awesome I am envious, do you have intentions of selling parts in the future, how thick do the hoods turn out and are they smooth or grainy, have seen posts on other forums of chassis that have been 3D printed but the guys complain about them being a very grainy finish and need lots of prep before painting

r32wa

Post by r32wa »

1mm is about as thin as you can go before it gets too weak and falls apart. Yeah the printed stuff does come out grainy as it is basically done in 0.2mm layers. It's not a huge amount of work to get them smooth but there is work involved. I guess that's the price you pay to build custom things. I have just printed a current spec wing, 60mm x 60mm. It looks odd compared to the kit wing, but its technically correct. I will post up some pics tomorrow.

r32wa

Post by r32wa »

Wing and KKR hood. If you look at the wing you can see the layers and how they come out of the printer.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 15144 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 15144 times

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Nice looking parts!! I'd be interested in a couple of the Kahne hoods, when you get them dialed in how you want them!!

Joe

Post by Joe »

yeah that hoid.could be a HUGE seller. I know I'd be interested in several as eell.
Joe
Making your Sprint Car model dreams come true since 2004!
Facebook- ScaleSprints.com Twitter- @ScaleSprints