chassis and body help

Talk About Building Sprint Car Models Here

Moderator: sigmaman

Demonchassis00

chassis and body help

Post by Demonchassis00 »

I grew up in a micro sprint shop, raced my whole life, and always been into some sort of project but Never made a model sprint car. It looks like a lot of fun. I have action die cast cars to use for dimensions and I have a kinser kit in the box for a base. I know people who have chassis in the shop, Reference pictures are everywhere, Ive picked up a lot of good info reading this forum, found a lot of websites for parts and detailing pieces and got some info through social media. What Im totally stuck on though, is where I find the materials needed for bodies and a chassis. And how its done. The kit pieces are too generic and too easy. Id prefer making my own and just a tip on how to is more than enough. But for the right price I would buy a chassis if it suits and the body panels. THANKS.

Joe

Re: chassis and body help

Post by Joe »

Justin Glass @ http://www.southwestscalechassis.com makes some of the best 1/24 chassis on the planet. He's also messing with vaccuum forming body panels.
Joe
Making your Sprint Car model dreams come true since 2004!
Facebook- ScaleSprints.com Twitter- @ScaleSprints

s29

Post by s29 »

Joe wrote:Justin Glass @ http://www.southwestscalechassis.com makes some of the best 1/24 chassis on the planet. He's also messing with vaccuum forming body panels.
unfortunately he has shut down for now :(

s29

Post by s29 »

Demonchassis00 wrote:I grew up in a micro sprint shop, raced my whole life, and always been into some sort of project but Never made a model sprint car. It looks like a lot of fun. I have action die cast cars to use for dimensions and I have a kinser kit in the box for a base. I know people who have chassis in the shop, Reference pictures are everywhere, Ive picked up a lot of good info reading this forum, found a lot of websites for parts and detailing pieces and got some info through social media. What Im totally stuck on though, is where I find the materials needed for bodies and a chassis. And how its done. The kit pieces are too generic and too easy. Id prefer making my own and just a tip on how to is more than enough. But for the right price I would buy a chassis if it suits and the body panels. THANKS.
mate for your first attempt I would recommend using the kit chassis for the base platform and take a look on the forum how people have cut out old fashioned bar work and replace it with evergreen styrene rod to bring the chassis up to todays standards, reading your post and seeing you don't know where to buy materials or how fabricating a chassis is done leads me to think you are new to the hobby, for fabrication most people use evergreen styrene rod and sheets that can be purchased at your local hobby shop, if you do decide to make your own chassis you will need to make a jig

Joe

Post by Joe »

For me personally I use 1/16" (.062) size rod for all my chassis modifications. Body panels can be made of anything from .010 or .030 in thickness. HTH
Joe
Making your Sprint Car model dreams come true since 2004!
Facebook- ScaleSprints.com Twitter- @ScaleSprints

Old Sprinter

Post by Old Sprinter »

I have been scratch building 1/8 scale sprint cars for drivers and owners for the last 5 years. I use styrene tubing { comes in practically any size for the scale you want} for the frame and axles, styrene sheet .040 and .060 for motor, wings, body, etc. I use aluminum tube for the radius rods, steering arm, etc. and fiber glass the tail and sometimes the hood. You can buy everything you need from Hobbylinc or most hobby stores on line or in your city.