Aftermarket parts

Talk About Building Sprint Car Models Here

Moderator: sigmaman

jtmurp02

Aftermarket parts

Post by jtmurp02 »

I've look a lot through the forum and DirtModeler as well, but does anybody have any advice, a tutorial, etc, on using the DirtModeler style hubs with the kit wheels? I'm slowly learning and getting better at customizing my builds, just a little hesitant to order a bunch of parts from those guys if I'm going to be clueless once I get them haha. You all use glue or solder? I've seen The Parts Box referenced but heard there's a delay when ordering? Any other companies that sell aftermarket parts? Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Jeremy

Re: Aftermarket parts

Post by Jeremy »

The only time I've used the Dirt Modeler hubs was on a wheels off build, so I didn't have to worry as much about attaching them to the wheel and then to the car. I did cut the hubs out of the kit wheels for display purposes, though. I would start there and get the hubs attached to the wheels first. I used superglue to put the hubs together. I referred to reference photos of the real hubs to get them figured out. You could probably attach a short length of tube to back of the hub to allow it to slip onto the spindle.

I haven't used any of the Parts Box stuff, but it look real nice and easy to use. There's a model store out of Australia that appears to be selling their parts on eBay. Their seller name is: a-modeler

jtmurp02

Post by jtmurp02 »

Thanks, man, I appreciate it. Any advice for this novice cutting the kit rims so I can use the DirtModeler hubs? haha

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

The easiest way would be to just drill the centers out, but I didn't have a drill bit or drill big enough to do that. I ended up scribing the centers using the back side of a hobby knife blade. It was tedious work, but eventually worked. Next time I will drill as big of a hole as I can, then grind the rest away with a Dremel. LOL