My little red modified

Moderator: sigmaman

Dirt Devil

My little red modified

Post by Dirt Devil »

I have been working on this for about the last 3 months. Im not going to show the body at the moment as its not finished but it shouldn't be long now.

I have made some changes to the chassis. first I cut about 3mm of height out of the rollcage behind the drivers seat, I also cut about 5mm of length out of the halo bar above the drivers seat and I layed the front part of the rollcage back and added a couple of extra support bars to the front of the cage all this was done to get the body to fit better. you can see the changes in the below shots the top one is the new chassis and the bottom one is a standard chassis.

A bit of detail painting on the shocks & springs.

Im using a set of wheels from Jason & Michele at the parts box
I wanted the wheels to sit closer to the chassis so I made some changes to the inner wheels. I drilled out the centre section of the wheel and used a piece of 12.6mm diameter plastic tube to create a new deeper wheel.

I have made a new firewall to suit the new body. The one on the left is the original.
Inner shelf to suit the new body shape

I have also made a custom dash using gauges, ignition box and steering wheel from Jason & Michele. I added a small piece of wire to the ignition box that would run to the prewired mag on the engine.
Apart from the prewired Protech mag the engine has a resin intake manifold, rocker covers and injection system with air filters. I also made a couple of chassis panels just to add a bit of a modern look to the build.

I used the kit headers but I made the exhaust pipe out of an old drink straw, I have also added a resin rear crash bar because it suits the body better than the original bar.

I still have a hand full of things to do so I hope to have it finished in the next week or two.
Image Real men still play in the dirt.

Geoff

Re: My little red modified

Post by Geoff »

That's real cool ;)

bubba930

Post by bubba930 »

There are many things that I like about this build first off the Fire Wall, the one that comes with the kit never fit right, there's always a gap between the body and fire wall, second are the Guages, very nice touch, The Wiring is good looking, I'd have to say that this is going to be Hot !!!

Dirt Devil

Post by Dirt Devil »

Thanks for the comments guys.

I hope to have this finished by the end of the week.

Dirt Devil

Post by Dirt Devil »

I finally finished it. I think I have put more into this build than any of my other builds.

I started with the body from the 1/24 scale Revell 95 ZR1 Corvette body I had laying around and I cut 10mm out of the middle to get the width I wanted. I also removed the original firewall and some of the body that was no use to me and enlarged the wheel arches by about 6mm to fit the larger wheels..

Once I had it glued back together I added a 5mm piece of the rear window glass to give the roof and B pillar more length and depth. I also filled all the gaps and did a heap of sanding, I left the taillights in so that I didn't have to use too much putty to fill in those holes.

I made myself a set of oversized side crash bars and some bracing for in the engine bay.
Image Image

The moment you’ve been waiting for, my finished 95 ZR1 Corvette Modified. I made the decals myself except for the Goodyear tire markings which Im not happy with as they wont stick to the tires properly and keep peeling off.
Image Image

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

What a cool looking build DD . Very nice work , love your trailer also ..

Dirt Devil

Post by Dirt Devil »

Thanks Geoff.